The #ModernismProject is back this year with new themes, new judges, and more chances to win tickets to Modernism Week! For those of you who are new around here, it’s a mobile initiative encouraging the Modernism Week community to get involved and capture modernism in everyday life through the photo lens. Starting in October through January, participants will have the opportunity every few weeks to win tickets to Modernism Week events or prizes by simply snapping a photo and showing their own personal perspective on modernism.
Here’s how to play:
– Grab your smartphone.
– Photograph anything and everything related to the current prompt and add your favorite filter, tilt-shift, or bokeh flare. Note: The subject of your photo does not necessarily have to be in Palm Springs. We want to see your interpretation of modernism – no matter where you live!
– Upload it to your Instagram account, and add the hashtag #ModernismProject, as well as the hashtag for the most current prompt (ie. #modernismaroundtheglobe) so that we can track your submission by each contest. Feel free to submit more than one photo.
– Starting in October, we’ll announce the challenge prompt on a Wednesday (but check the calendar below for exact dates), and announce a winner on the following Tuesday by tagging them on Instagram – so check your news feeds to see if you’ve won!
– For each contest, we’ll have a special guest judge, so make them pretty, make them creative and dazzle us! We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
The calendar of prompt dates is included below. Don’t worry, we’ll also remind you on Instagram, the blog, Facebook and Twitter as we announce the prompt topics themselves. So get ready, set, and shoot!
October 16th: Arch Daily – #GlobalModernism
November 6th: LifeEdited – #NewModernistLife
November 20th: ModCloth – #MCMKitsch
December 11th: Kelly Golightly – #JetSet
January 8th: Sarah Sherman Samuel – #ColorAndPattern
January 29th: Brenna Egan – #MCMFashion
THE FINE PRINT, you know we gotta have it:
The object of the #ModernismProject Instagram Photo Contest is to submit your own original photograph edited in the Instagram application as described below in exchange for the chance at winning a prize, as described below. Modernism Week special guest judges will judge all eligible entries received, as outlined below.
Contestants must be 21 years or older. Each individual contest begins at 12:01 A.M. Pacific Time on the Wednesday the prompt is announced, and ends at 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time on the following Sunday. Winners are announced the subsequent Tuesday.
During the Entry Period, all entries must be uploaded through the Instagram application. Each entrant must have an Instagram account and follow the @Modernism_Week Instagram feed. To enter, entrant must use the hashtags #ModernismProject and the current prompt, ie. #architecture to be considered. No other method of entry will be accepted. There is no limit to how many times one account can submit an entry.
We’re all adults here, but just in case – the photo may not contain any content that:
(1) is sexually explicit or suggestive; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; or profane; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing);
(2) promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message
(3) is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group; appears to duplicate any other submitted Submission;
(4) contains any personal identification, such as license plate numbers, personal names, e-mail addresses or street addresses;
(5) contains copyrighted materials owned by others or any trademarks, names or logos owned by others; or
(6) violates any law.
Entrants must fully comply with all contest requirements to be eligible. Incomplete entries are void.
By entering the contest, each entrant agrees that his or her submission is an original work of authorship and he or she owns all rights as of the date of submission. The winner grants Modernism Week and affiliated judges to publicize the winning photo, the winner’s name, and Instagram handle. All photos that are submitted to the competition are subject to be used in any Modernism Week public relations or marketing material as necessary.
There will a total of 1 winner for each competition. Winners will receive a pair of tickets to one Modernism Week. If the winner does not live in the vicinity, or will not be attending the event in February, they will receive a choice of prizes from the Modernism Week MODSHOP.
The winner will be notified via the Instagram application, and/or email on the Tuesday after the competition has completed. In the event that the winner does not respond to any such notification within 24 hours of date of issuance, a disqualification will result, the prize will be forfeited and, an alternate winner may be chosen from among all remaining eligible entries.
Photo credit: Darren Bradley